Self Referral Form at bottom of this page
GP Advanced Physiotherapy (APP) role
What is a GP APP?
A new role supported by Scottish Government aiming to free-up GP time which aims to be patient centred, cost effective and to provide tailor made expert MSK assessment and advice.
During the outbreak of Covid-19 the NHS Inform MSK helpline has been suspended. We can reassure you that the Advanced Physiotherapy Practitioner will be available to discuss musculo-skeletal problems such as: joint or muscle pains; sprains and strains; as well as low back and neck pain via a telephone consultation for anyone over the age of 16.
Following your appointment, supporting information and resources useful for your recovery can be sent to you. Further medical help can also be arranged if required.
Benefits for patients
- Quick, timely access to specialist advise
- Accessing the most appropriate care pathway at the right time
- Longer appointment times (20 minutes)
- Empowerment to self manage
- Opportunity to gain lifestyle/physical activity advise
Benefits for GPs
- Less musculo-skeletal (MSK) appointments
- More time to manage complex medical cases
- Sharing of skills in-house
Benefits for the NHS
- Less testing and prescribing
- Reduced secondary care referrals
- Shorted waiting times in secondary care
- Improved conversion rate to surgery when referrals are required.
Call the surgery on 0131 554 6471
physiotherapy self referral
physiotherapy self referral form